Monty Herr, C.I.H., Ph.D.
Chief Senior Scientist, Certified Industrial Hygienist
Counterproliferation Analysis; Emergency Response Security
M.S.P.H. (Master of Science in Public Health), Industrial Hygiene, Tulane University
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA. (1984)
Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Texas at Austin (1969)
B.S. with Honors in Chemistry, University of Texas at Austin (1965)
Recent Lectures/Courses Taught
Professor, Current Issues in Industrial Health and Safety, Tulane University , including lectures on:
- Chemical Hormesis
- Industrial Hygiene Aspects of Beryllium
- Emergency Exposure Limits
- Nerve Agents
Dr. Monty Herr, an internationally recognized expert in industrial hygiene, brings more than thirty-five years experience in industrial hygiene, occupational health, and safety. In the last few years, he has focused on toxicological aspects of public health. He focuses on performing consequence analyses for the Counterproliferation Analysis and Planning System at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). He holds DOE Q and SCI clearances.
While at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), Dr. Herr provided technical and managerial consultative expertise to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Headquarters (HQ) Defense Programs (DP) when he was assigned to the department. His contributions included developing and producing a focused newsletter for use by the Secretary of DOE and senior DOE personnel nationwide.
Before specializing in industrial hygiene, Dr. Herr was on the chemistry faculty of several universities, teaching to undergraduate and graduate students at L'Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium, the University of Malaysia, Xavier University, and the University of New Orleans.
Professionally, Dr. Herr is internationally recognized as an expert in occupational health and a leader in the comprehensive practice of industrial hygiene. He has served in several leadership roles for professional organizations, including on the national Board of Directors for the American Industrial Hygiene Association and the American Board of Industrial Hygiene, the certifying Board for the profession. He actively engages in committee efforts directed toward the development of international health and safety standards, publication of reference books and papers, the certification of university programs of industrial hygiene, and other contributions to the profession.
Dr. Herr currently teaches graduate students at Tulane University School of Public Health, delivering lectures live to students around the world. He has delivered guest lectures in occupational health and safety for programs at several schools including the University of California at Berkeley and San Jose State University.
Honors and Awards
Dr. Herr is a Fellow of the American Industrial Hygiene Association. He has received several commendations and recommendation awards from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and other employers and clients.
Jacobs Engineering, 2003 to present
Dr. Herr is a CAPS Consequence Analyst determining health and environmental impacts of disruptions in industrial mechanical, chemical, and biological manufacturing processes associated with weapons of mass destruction production and dissemination, continuing work performed before retirement from LLNL. He has created/maintained hundreds of focussed web pages on classified internet networks. He created/improved 400 Toxicological Profiles for hazardous chemicals, and maintained Toxicology Glossary and Reference pages and created a Toxic Industrial Chemicals/Toxic Industrial Materials (TICs/TIMs) reference.
Integrated Science Solutions, Inc., Senior Scientist, 2003 to present
Dr. Herr is a Senior Scientist and Industrial Hygienist with ISSi. Dr Herr provides his advanced expertise and experience to ISSi clients in support of projects and contracts in homeland security, industrial hygiene, occupational health and safety, and emergency preparedness.
Tulane University, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, 1999 to present (concurrent)
Dr Herr is an Associate Clinical Professor in the Occupational Health and Safety Management Masters Degree curriculum. His principle duties include teaching Current Topics in Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety and supervising student CapStone projects, a thesis-like requirement for graduation. He serves on curriculum committees and advises on curriculum certification issues.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 1986 to July, 2003
Dr Herr is a Senior Scientist/Principle Investigator for the Special Projects Division/Chemical and Biological Safety Section of the Hazards Control Department. Since summer of 1999, Dr. Herr has been matrixed to Q-Division (Proliferation Detection and Defense Systems) of the Nonproliferation, Arms Control, and International Security Directorate. He focuses on performing consequence analyses for the Counterproliferation Analysis and Planning System (CAPS), preparing classified web pages. Additionally, Dr. Herr has accomplished the following:
- Toxicology of proliferation materials and investigation of emergency response exposure limits.
- Preparation of various implementation documents for the LLNL Integrated Safety Management Program and the Corrective Action Plan to a DOE/HQ/EH-2 Safety Management Evaluation (SME CAP).
- Revision of several chapters/supplements for the LLNL Environment, Safety, and Health Manual.
- Provision of comprehensive industrial hygiene field services.
- Received two Special Recognition Awards for these contributions.
Dr. Herr provided technical and managerial expertise to DOE/HQ DP. Among activities for DP were the following:
- Prepared a monthly 10 to 15 page review and analysis of occupational health, safety, and environmental issues including legislative, regulatory, and related activities which was distributed to more than 100 senior DOE personnel nationwide.
- Prepared summaries and analyses of new occupational health, safety, and environmental regulations and legislation as they were proposed or promulgated for distribution to DOE DP.
- Prepared reviews of draft DOE occupational health and safety orders.
- Developed 100-page Beryllium Good Practices Manual.
- Managed commercial development of real-time beryllium monitor.
- Served as consultant on beryllium issues, preparing responses to DOE/EH beryllium rule-making activities.
- Provided other reviews and reports as needed or perceived. Duties took Dr. Herr to Washington , DC frequently.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 1991 - 1992
Dr. Herr was detailed to DOE/HQ DP, Facility Management Group/Site Action Team, in Washington, DC, as a Technical Advisor. Numerous projects included industrial hygiene and safety audits, reviews, and reports including reviews of chemical safety, and occupational health and safety management. He conducted recordkeeping audit of at the Nevada Test Site and did trouble-shooting and resolved problems concerning tunnel ventilation at the site.
Dr. Herr Instituted a weekly report reviewing environmental, safety, and health occurrence reports at DP facilities nationwide, principally LLNL and the Nevada Test Site for the HQ Facility Management Group. He interacted with all levels of the DOE DP hierarchy; fostered relationships with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) personnel, and attended congressional hearings on OSHA reform and other matters of relevance to occupational health and safety. Dr. Herr facilitated international contacts for OSHA personnel.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 1986 - 1991
As the Hazards Control Deputy Team Leader for the LLNL Lasers Program, Dr. Herr supervised a 26-person team of industrial hygienists, health physicists, fire protection engineers, criticality safety engineers, industrial safety engineers, and safety analysts, an environmental analyst, ten health and safety technicians, an environmental technician, and clerical staff. Tasks included scheduling, reviewing, and editing monthly safety and health audits and inspections; reviewing and approving Facility and Operational Safety Procedures; managing design reviews and preliminary hazards analyses; preparing Team monthly activity reports; and personnel assignments and budgeting.
Dr. Herr was promoted to this position in 1987. Previously, as an Industrial Hygienist, his responsibilities included comprehensive industrial hygiene duties, hazard analysis, hazard communication training, and training coordination for the Industrial Hygiene Group.
Martin Marietta Michoud Aerospace, New Orleans, LA. (1981 - 1986)
As a Senior Safety Engineer at this 8,000-employee facility, Dr. Herr contributed to the manufacture of the External Tank for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Space Shuttle Program. Besides performing general industrial hygiene duties, he established and ran the entire Hazard Communications Program including development of the plant's material safety data sheet (MSDS) system, hazardous materials inventory systems, and hazard communications training.
Dr. Herr was responsible for hazardous materials and chemicals control; was the facility's Radiation Safety Officer; and created the position of Laser Safety Officer. He had responsibilities in all other areas of industrial hygiene including extensive confined-space and respiratory-protection programs; chemical, noise, and non-ionizing radiation exposure monitoring and control; and monitoring the facility's environmental compliance.
University of New Orleans (1978 - 1981, 1975 - 1976)
Served at the University with 20,000 students, faculty, and staff for two periods. During the second of these, was asked to organize the University's Safety Department. Served as the Campus Safety Officer in addition to responsibilities as Assistant Professor of Chemistry, teaching general and organic chemistry and doing research in quantum chemistry and physical chemistry. Instituted hazardous materials training for all science students, faculty, and staff. Instituted the campus' first safety training for operating plant personnel, and its first safety inspection program. During this time, served as a consultant for J. T. Baker Chemical Co., the New Orleans Metropolitan Safety Council, and the Safety Council of Greater Baton Rouge in matters of hazardous chemical safety.
Xavier University, New Orleans, LA. (1976-1978)
Assistant Professor of Chemistry.
University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia . (1972 - 1975)
Taught most of the undergraduate chemistry courses and performed research in quantum chemistry. At the end of the contract in Malaysia, Dr. Herr undertook a lecture tour of over 20 universities in Asia and Europe.
L'Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium (1969 - 1972)
Member of the Synthetic Organic Chemistry Faculty, doing research and teaching and mentoring graduate students.
Publications and Presentations
- Board Coordinators: A Critical Communications Link, Synergist 12(4) 30 ( April 15, 2001 ).
- History of Risk Assessment in the Federal Government, Risk Assessment Methodology for the Practicing Industrial Hygienist, a Symposium, Nashville , TN , October 2000. Proceedings in Press.
- "AIHA Board Update," San Diego Section of the AIHA, September 2000.
- "AIHA Board Update," Orange County Section of the AIHA, March 2000.
- "AIHA Board Update," British Columbia/Yukon Section of the AIHA, March 2000.
- "Mutual Membership," AIHA Leadership Workshop, March, 2000.
- "AIHA Board Update," Southern California Section of the AIHA, January 2000.
- History of Risk Assessment in the Federal Government, Risk Assessment Methodology for the Practicing Industrial Hygienist, a Symposium, New Orleans , LA , September 1999.
- "AIHA Board Update," Orange County Section of the AIHA, April 1999.
- From the Board, Synergist 10(8) 26-27 (August 15, 1999).
- "AIHA Board Update," Southern California Section of the AIHA, March 1999.
- "Mutual Membership," AIHA Leadership Workshop, March, 1999.
- "Mutual Expectations Between Technical Committees and Headquarters," AIHA Leadership Workshop, March 1999.
- "AIHA Proposed Name Change and Mutual Membership," Yuma Pacific Southwest Section of the AIHA, January, 1999.
- "AIHA Proposed Name Change," San Diego Section of the AIHA, December, 1998.
- "Update on the Commercial Development of the Real-Time Beryllium Monitor," at Los Alamos , NM , November 1998.
- "AIHA Proposed Name Change," Sacramento Valley Section of the AIHA, October, 1998.
- "AIHA Board Update," Orange County Section of the AIHA, June 1998.
- "Commercial Development of the Real-Time Beryllium Monitor," at the Chronic Beryllium Disease Prevention Program Best Practices and Lessons Learned Workshop at Argonne National Laboratory, June 1998.
- Chemical Hazards, UC Berkeley Center for Occupational and Environmental Health, March 1998.
- "How to Effectively Use Your Board Coordinator," AIHA Leadership Workshop, Fairfax , VA , March 1998.
- "The American Industrial Hygiene Foundation Endowment," Northern California Section of the AIHA, March 1998.
- "Occupational Illnesses: Where is the Outrage," American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 59 83-84 (February 1998).
- "The American Industrial Hygiene Foundation Endowment," Sacramento Valley Section of the AIHA, February 1998.
- "Risk Assessment," a one-day course given in Anchorage , Alaska , February 1998.
- "The American Industrial Hygiene Foundation Endowment," Midnight Sun Section of the AIHA, Anchorage , Alaska , February 1998.
- The AIHA Strategic Plan, Orange County Section of the AIHA, December 1997.
- The AIHA Strategic Plan, San Diego Section of the AIHA, October 1997.
- Chemical Hazards, UC Berkeley Center for Occupational and Environmental Health, June 1997.
- From the Board: The Future of Industrial Hygiene, The Synergist, 8 (9) 32 ( 15 September 1997 )
- "A Review of the LLNL Chemical Dosimeter," DOE Exposure Assessment and Chronic Beryllium Disease Prevention Workshop, Denver , September 1997.
- Organized and chaired session on Business Performance Measures in Industrial Hygiene at the Professional Conference on Industrial Hygiene, September 1997, in Baltimore , MD.
- Defense Programs Beryllium Good Practice Guide, University of California Publication Number UCRL-ID-127871, July, 1997.
- "The AIHA Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems Standard Guidelines," Industrial Environmental Association Conference, November 1996, in San Diego , CA .
- "The AIHA Occupational Health And Safety Management Systems Standard" at ISO Standards; Business Management for the 21st Century. A Conference Integrating Quality, Environment, and Health & Safety, October 1996 in Seattle , WA .
- "The AIHA's Position on an International Occupational Health And Safety Management Systems Standard" California Industrial Hygiene Council Symposium, September 1996 in San Diego , CA .
- "The AIHA Occupational Health and Safety Management System," Southern California Local Section of the AIHA July 1996.
- The AIHA Strategic Plan, Sacramento Valley Section of the AIHA, June 1996.
- "Environmental Site Assessment Phase I: A Basic Guide," (A Review), Appl. Occup. Environ. Hyg. 11(6) 567-568 (1996).
- An ISO and ANSI Occupational Health and Safety Management System Standard, American Society of Safety Engineers Annual Meeting, June 1996, in San Diego , CA .
- AIHA's Strategic Plan, San Diego Local Section. of the AIHA, April 1996.
- The AIHA Occupational Health and Safety Management System, Connecticut River Valley Symposium, Hartford , CN, March 1996.
- The AIHA Strategic Plan, Orange County Section of the AIHA, February 1996.
- "Laboratory Design Handbook," (A Review), Appl. Occup. Environ. Hyg. 11(1) 64 (1996).
- Industrial Hygiene Strategic Planning, presentation at the VPP Participants Association Meeting. September 1995 in Washington , DC .
- International Efforts at Developing Industrial Hygiene Performance Measures, Professional Conference on Industrial Hygiene, October 1995, in San Diego , CA .
- Industrial Hygiene Performance Measures in the Private Sector at the DOE Industrial Hygiene Coordinating Committee Meeting, March, 1996, in Las Vegas , NV .
- "Ergonomics in Back Pain: A Guide to Prevention and Rehabilitation" (A Review), Appl. Occup. Environ Hyg. 9(12) 23 (December 1994).
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene Forum, American Industrial Hygiene Conference, Anaheim , California . May 23, 1994 .
- "Implementation of the Training Response to the OSHA Evaluation of DOE's GOCO Facilities," presentation for the Department of Energy Defense Programs Occupational Safety and Health Workshop, Knoxville , Tennessee . January 28, 1993 .
- "Implementation of the Training Response to the OSHA Evaluation of DOE's GOCO Facilities," presentation for the Training Resources and Data Exchange Annual Conference, Seattle , Washington . November 3, 1992 .
- Occupational Safety, Session Chair, DOE Safety Technology Workshop, Albuquerque , New Mexico . October 6, 1992 .
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene Forum, American Industrial Hygiene Conference, Boston , Massachusetts . June 4, 1992 .
- Certification of Industrial Hygiene Professionals and Occupational Health and Safety Technologists, DOE Defense Programs Semiannual Environment, Safety, and Health Conference, Las Vegas , Nevada . February 20, 1992 .
- "Laboratory Health and Safety Handbook: A Guide for the Preparation of a Chemical Hygiene Plan" (A Review), Appl. Occup. Environ Hyg. 7(1) 23 (January 1992).
- "Proceedings of a Conference on the Health Effects of Cutting Oils and Their Controls" (A Review), Amer. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J. 52(6) A‑336 (June 1991).
- "Low-Level Radioactive Waste: From Cradle to Grave" (A Review), Appl. Occup. Environ Hyg. 6(5) 391 (May 1991).
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene Forum, American Industrial Hygiene Conference, Salt Lake City , Utah . May 21, 1991 .
- "Guidance on Radiation Received in Space Activities: Recommendations of the National Council on Radiation and Measurements: NCRP Report No. 98" (A Review), Appl. Occup. Environ Hyg. 5(12) 897 (December 1990).
- "Effective Expert Witnessing" (A Review), Appl. Occup. Environ Hyg. 5(10) 678 (October 1990).
- Industrial Hygiene Certification, presentation for Industrial Epidemiology Forum Conference on Managing the Conduct and Quality of Epidemiology Studies, Salt Lake City, Utah. June 12, 1990 .
- "From the Field: Problems, Solutions, and Trends in Industrial Hygiene," Asbestos Issues 3(5) 49 (May 1990).
- Certification of Industrial Hygienists, presentation for Northern California Section of the American Industrial Hygiene Association. September 12, 1989 .
- "Toxicology of the Lung" (A Review), Amer. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J. 50(8) A-622 (August 1989).
- "Toxic Chemicals, Health, and the Environment" (A Review), Amer. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J. 49(9) A‑440 (July 1988).
- "Patty's Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology. Volume III. Theory and Rationale of Industrial Hygiene. 3A. The Work Environment" (A Review), Amer. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J. 47(9) A-566 (September 1986).
- Chemical Hazard Evaluation, Professional Development Course, American Industrial Hygiene Conference, Montreal , Quebec , Canada . May, 1987.
- "Methylene Diphenyl Diisocyanate (MDI) Exposure During Spray Foam Insulation Closeout Operations," American Industrial Hygiene Conference Abstracts, Dallas , Texas , May 18-23, 1986.
- Hygienic Guide: Trichlorofluoromethane, American Industrial Hygiene Association, Akron , OH (1986).
- Hygienic Guide: 1,1,2-Trichloro-1,2,2-trifluoroethane, American Industrial Hygiene Association, Akron , OH (1986).
- Chemical Hazard Evaluation, Professional Development Course, American Industrial Hygiene Conference, Dallas , Texas . May 18, 1986 .
- Assistant Coordinator of the AIHA course, Practical Aspects of Industrial Hygiene, New Orleans . Lectured on Hazardous Chemicals and Hazard Communications. December 9-13, 1985.
- Letter, Amer. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J. 46(11) B-18 (1985).
- Hazard Communications, presentation at the University of New Orleans . November 22, 1985 .
- The Industrial Hygiene Aspects of Diisocyanates, Organizer, Symposium for the Louisiana Industrial Hygiene Council, New Orleans . November 14, 1985 .
- Industrial Hygiene, presentation for New Orleans Metropolitan Safety Council. September 18, 1985 .
- Organic Chemistry Aspects of Industrial Hygiene. presentation at Tulane University , New Orleans , La. February 1985.
- "Chemical Hazards in the Workplace. (A Review), Professional Safety 48 52 (October 1981).
- Labs Not Lunchrooms. Industrial Research & Development 22(10) 223-223 (October 1980)
- "Hybridization in Propellanes. Tetrahedron 33 1897 (1977).
- "The Antiaromaticity of Cyclobutadiene. Tetrahedron 32 2835 (1976).
- Translation of the book Les Regles de Woodward-Hoffman by Truyen Trong Anh from French to English for McGraw-Hill.
- "Quantum Chemical Studies. Equilibria in Some Acene Derivatives," Tetrahedron 28 5139 (1972).
- "Quantum Chemical Data. 1,1-Disubstituted Ethylenes," Collection Czech. Chem. Communications 37 3219 (1972).
- "Chlorine NQR Spectra of Some Benzyl Chlorides, Allyl Chlorides, and Chlorophosphines," Tetrahedron 27 2377 (1971).
- "Chlorine NQR Spectra of Chloronorbornanes and Chloronorbornenes," Tetrahedron 27 2731 (1971).
- Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance Spectroscopy of Some Organic Halides, Dissertation, University of Texas .